Thursday, January 19, 2006

My name

Still thinking about the experience in the Job Centre Plus.
I don't like to transfer my Chinese name into English. It never sounds right. Being in the UK, I have to transfer my Chinese name into English. I don't like it. I think my Chinese name is beautiful only when it is written in Chinese. When presenting it in English, it really means nothing in literature but a way to draw my attention... When turning it into English, calling my name is no longer a nice way to draw my attention...
Having the thoughts that English speakers are ethnocentric, I think that I am ethnocentric, too... How can it be possible to expect all the people I meet in the UK to be able to speak Chinese and pronounce my name nicely before they meet me? This is an argument that can be very frustrating if I really want to make a fuss about it...
Leave it...

3 Comments:

At 1/20/2006 12:13 am , Blogger Chickadeeva said...

My name is Elicia. I'm an American and guess what, no one can say my name properly either!

I tell you this for two reasons. 1) its not just your name American's can't seem to say and
2) "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." - Shakespere. This has become my motto.

 
At 12/09/2006 12:32 am , Blogger hkoutsider said...

i agree! i hate that they think my translated english name is my real name. i also make myself an english name in fact u know!

oh yea hi stranger i just happened to find out ur nice sound works from the music dept of goldsmiths where im studying now....

 
At 3/15/2007 12:08 am , Blogger Tsai-Wei Chen said...

Thank you all for the messages. To say 'tsai', you can say 'zai'. Hope this helps! ^_^

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home