Wednesday, March 09, 2005

In my room, New Cross, London, 7am

Back to my room, where sounds of airplane can be heard very frequently. This time, these sounds do not remind me of going home or endless travelling between Taiwan and London. Surprisingly, they remind me of the floatplanes in Vancouver and Victoria! Multi-culturalism, peoples’ friendliness and beautiful sceneries of Canada have impressed me very much. I have also experienced so many sounds that I could never imagine, such as the floatplane, the steam clock, Canadian English, traffic signals for passer-bys, etc. However, I could not imagine that my long-term attachment to the airplane sounds would be changed from the cause of home returning to the cause of 7-day new experiences in Canada. Sonic associations can be changed so easily?! By travelling among different countries, my sonic constellations are constituted by more than the sound events of Taiwan and London. By listening and mediating carefully, there are also sonic constellations of Paris and now, Vancouver to assist my orientation. Because the experiences of sonic constellations all happen in the past, there is a possibility that these sonic constellations can provide me a sense of nostalgia. I enjoy my trip in Canada. I miss the Korean food there! Obviously, what can make me miss Canada and also my past in general are no longer restricted in elements of Taiwan but multi-culture. This should be a phenomenon reflected through my interviewees.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home