Sunday, January 16, 2005

Cotton candy making, Bali, 3:30pm

When waiting for the street vendor making a cotton candy for us, all we can do is to look at the bamboo stick twisting with sugar webs emitted from the spinning machine. Unlike other street vending business, there is no specific sound made to attract the customers. The only sound it produces is the spinning machine. It's neither loud nor quiet but people do ignore its existence. When I play the sound back to my parents, they cannot tell what it is.

Unfortunately, because there was no customer making an order during the recording, listeners have difficulties to tell the sound source from the recording. I am thus puzzled: Before turning off the recording button, should I say to the vendor 'I would like to have a cotton candy please'? If I do so, the listeners would understand what the recording is about. However, what I record would become a performance rather than a cultural documentation. Should I consider issues of recording morality? Or should I give communication the priority? In fact, even if I try to keep myself silent during recording, it is a performance. There seems to be a dilemma between sounding and unsounding of a recordist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home